Two weeks have passed, and we are getting a far better picture of the situation of the excavated area. We started by open up some trenches in the southern part of the settlement area, an area covered with many postholes, and also at a supposed medieval manor in the northwest.
The medeival house is clearly visible, not at least the huge fireplace in the house. We have also got a rather good view of the ground plan of the building, visible by a clear line of limestone slabs being the foundation of the house walls.
In the southern area, several huge postholes came to light under a very thin layer of soil. In some of them, there were wood from the posts, still preserved, giving us a good possibility to use C14 dating. The spatial distribution of the postholes didn't give a clear indication of the layout of a building, while they seem to be part of different buildings. We need to try to find complementary postholes in the close vicinity outside our excavated area to have a chance to interpret the layout of buldings.
So far, the material have mainly been of bones, daub, many iron objects, and some other metal, like for instance sewing needles, and also ceramic.
One of the more fascinating objects so far is a very small fragment of an Arabic coin, just some 2-3 mm big, probably dated to the middle of the Viking age (10th C). It was found in situ by Kerstin Josvoll, and I must say, that was extremely clever, while it was such a small fragment.